MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

More Snow Sunday, and a three-day storm on the way

Mike sent me a text message Sunday afternoon:

Yes, in fact, Kathy and I busily took photos of this rare Maine winter phenomenon

 

I've got a lot more, but they all look the same, and the forecast calls for a storm starting Wednesday evening, lasting into Friday afternoon. The weather people are predicting between five inches and a foot. If any of them look different from the last 50 snow shots I've snapped, I'll surely post them.

Oh, goodie - I just saw a snowflake...

 

8 comments:

  1. Tom, hopefully you won't get more snowflakes than you can count....that is unless you need them? We were dry here and everyone's nervous about going in to the spring without more moisture. Hopefully everything that's on top of the ground will somehow find a slow way into the ground.

    Stay safe, hope your flakes will be manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop,

      Actually, after 5 inches of wet, heavy snow, we got mostly rain. Today - Thursday - it's mild and dry. The predicted three days of snow petered out!

      But it would be helpful if we could have a pipeline to send water to those places where moisture could really help. Why not? We ship oil everywhere...

      Tom

      Delete
  2. Wow, snow in Maine :)

    It's amazing how a camera can make all the wonderful and unique snow scenes look the same. I swear they look different to my eye. That was why I took them, but when I get home and look at them...I have the experience you mention: They all look so very similar. Oh well, you can keep them coming. I can suffer them....very easily.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      Well, I don't think too many more snow pics will be coming. It's beginning to look like the temps are going to stay above freezing long enough to keep the precipitation in the form of rain for the rest of the winter.

      Tom

      Delete
  3. Snow pictures are always pretty, and made cuter with Kathy smiling in the foreground.

    For some reason the camera does make some look alike, but I, like Keith, will gladly suffer through seeing them, so keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,

      As I wrote to Keith, the snow may be over. But this is Maine, so I may be wrong!

      Tom

      Delete
  4. The usual dead flat lighting is what makes snow photos look "the same". I always have called it a "suicide sky", but let's not go there.

    Coop is right, of course. For those of us who need that moisture, if we think past the moment of misery, we can see that it will be worth it. The Great Lakes are still low and will be for a long time. So just send all your EXCESS snow back this way and we will find someplace to put it for you. Thanking you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,

      Mike and I might just deliver two scooter loads of snow to you. But as noted above, there might not be much left in a week or two.

      Tom

      Delete