MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Let it snow - I know it's really spring!

 

According to the weather prognosticators, my part of Maine is going to experience a blizzard unlike anything we've seen since 1979. Since Spring Training starts on Monday, it must be spring in my little world. So I am going to ignore the two feet of white fluff and focus on warm weather by digging out a few photos from summers past.

 

This is what we've be told to expect for the next 36 hours

 

But I am going to remember a summer sunrise over the sea

 

I'll remember the lady with the hat sitting by the bay

And I will marvel at the ways people will configure themselves to get an all-over tan, down to the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet

I'll envy the courage of those who surf in water that never, ever gets truly warm

And I will remember that it really won't be that long before I will enjoy another picnic in the woods beside the sea. So let it snow - it'll melt soon enough, and I'll be riding my scooter by the sea

 

14 comments:

  1. I LOVED it! Doesn't it just make you ache with a desire for sunshine and riding along the ocean?!

    Great post! Thank you, I needed that!

    :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,

      Thank you - it won't be long now. And I am ready for a great summer by the sea.

      Tom

      Delete
  2. Think sunny thoughts, think sunny thoughts. Just say it over and over again like a mantra.

    Once I heard about the storm I was wondering how you were going to fare weather wise. Hope it isn't as bad as they are predicting. Fingers crossed - eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,

      We made it through - it wasn't as scary as the media hyped it up to be. "Massive Storm - Record Blizzard - Northeast brought to a standstill..."

      Maybe it's just the Maine sense of "Big deal - why, back in '92..." The elders here will never admit that an event was as bad as what they went through.

      Tom

      Delete
  3. Tom:

    we are warming up just looking at those summer photos. Atlantic Canada is under a ton of snow and freezing temperatures. Not sure if it missed you or not.

    make sure to keep stocked up on food and keep the fires going. We are half way to Spring

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I'm glad that the pics produced a warm feeling. If spring doesn't show itself soon, I'm going to dig out a few more summer sets.

      Tom

      Delete
  4. Tom, what better way to prepare for a Big Snow than to think and dream summer; summer by the sea just that much better. I'm convinced that the Atlantic shore has a different aroma than the Pacific, you've brought me back to warm days hugging the East coast with tides and two wheels.

    Take care and stay safe through the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop,

      I was stationed on the coast of Washington State when I was in the Navy, and I think you're right about the ocean's subtle differences.

      Tom

      Delete
  5. Sure hope you are doing okay. The "blizzard" is all over the news on the west coast.

    We're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,

      Thank you - all is well, and getting better as the weather is actually warming up.

      Tom

      Delete
  6. Yes, snow....and, next Tuesday pitchers and catchers report to most of the MLB camps. Sure does sound like Spring in the North is just around the corner.

    Good luck "riding" out the storm and hope it brings a story or two and at least one fond memory.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      In fact, the Cubs and the Rockies report on Monday, and I'm going to celebrate that as the Opening of the Camps!

      Tom

      Delete
  7. Heck, and I just sent you a message asking you if you wanted to ride today. Just think… there's so much snow that falling down is almost impossible.
    Hang on… In 3 day's we will be on the air and riding once again.
    Ciao.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      On the air, for sure. But the rain, sleet, ice, and snow forecast for Monday mean using a less noble type of transportation.

      Tom

      Delete