MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

TS Irene

By the time Hurricane Irene reached Maine last week, she'd been downgraded to a tropical storm. Here on the coast, she did very little damage; further inland, the damage was far worse.

Although I considered riding to the coast for some photos, the smart side of me (named Kathy) decided to stay home.


On Monday, I rode out to Higgins Beach to watch the surfers who always gather there following - and often  during - big storms. I found only a few of these brave souls. One told me that because of the location of the retreating storm, "the waves are too close together."


Looking at the surf, I saw that indeed, this surf was different from the typical rolling waves. Another surfer said that the best waves happened at high tide - 2 AM Monday!



Only a handful of sunbathers were left when I visited.



This little band of beach combers packed up and headed home as one of the last surfers rode a final wave.



With the sun setting, the sweatshirts and hoodies guarded against the quickly chilling air.

No comments:

Post a Comment